15 unknown facts about famous artists
Here are 15 unusual facts that we are sure you didn’t know about these famous artists. We found number 14 really sad!
1. Monet’s father disapproved of his painting. He wanted him to be a grocer.
2. Leonardo da Vinci was a vegetarian and animal rights activist. He would buy caged birds and set them free.
3. Peter Paul Rubens knighted both Philips IV King of Spain and Charles I of England.
4. Henry Matisse’s painting, Le Bateau was put the right way up after hanging upside down for 46 days without anyone noticing at the Museum of Modern Art in America.
5. Salvador Dali believed he was his dead brother’s incarnation. There is also a portrait or a silhouette of Dali in everyone of his paintings.
6. Pablo Picasso’s first word was the Spanish word for pencil.
7. Georges Braque was the first living person to have art displayed in the Louvre.
8. In 1962 Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa was valued at $100.000.000. Who knows what it would be worth today…
9. After much disagreement by art historians, it is now accepted that Jan van Eyck had an older brother Victor Hubertus Eyck who worked on ‘adoration of the lamb’.
10. Paul Gauguin worked on the Panama Canal.
11. Auguste Rodin’s ‘the age of bronze’ was so realistic, people thought he sacrificed a real person inside the cast.
12. The Louvre in Paris was originally constructed as the fortress of Philippe Auguste in 1190.
13. Jackson Pollock often used cigarettes to paint.
14. Vincent van Gogh only sold one painting in his life time.
15. Edgar Degas was so fascinated with ballet dancers that he became obsessed with representing them in his art. It is estimated Degas made approximately 1500 paintings, pastels, prints and drawings of dancers.